Are you a PADI Divemaster?
You’re getting close. Now it’s time to start your PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC). The IDC consists of two sections, the Assistant Instructor (AI) course and the Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) program. This structure lets you divide the course into two blocks for schedule convenience if you need to. However, you may prefer to complete the two portions together, going through the entire IDC in as few as seven days.
The first part of the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC) is the PADI Assistant Instructor course. This course provides you additional experience as a PADI Professional and teaches you the PADI System of diver education.
The PADI Assistant Instructor course is the first portion of the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC). You'll not only gain additional experience as a PADI Professional but you'll also start learning the PADI System of diver education.
What can PADI Assistant Instructors do?
- Teach academic presentations under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor
- Evaluate Open Water Diver surface skills under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor
- Teach the PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty course
- Teach Project AWARE Specialty courses
- Conduct PADI Discover Scuba experiences Teach Emergency First Response after successful completion of an Emergency First Response Instructor course
What will I need to start?
- PADI Divemaster rating or qualifying certification from another certification organisation
- At least 18 years old
- Have 60 logged dives, including night, deep, and navigation dives
- Have been a certified diver for at least 6 months
What will I do?
- Knowledge development through self-study, quizzes, lectures and presentations
- Confined water skill review and assessment, workshops and presentations
- Open water workshops, rescue assessment and candidate presentations
How long will it take?
The course can vary from as little as 3 days to more than 2 weeks
What materials are needed?
- PADI Instructor Manual
- Instructor Candidate Workbook
- Open Water Lesson Planning Slate
- Confined Water Lesson Preparation Slate
- Open Water Aquatic Cue Cards
- Confined Water Aquatic Cue Cards
- The Law and the Diving Professional
- The Business of Diving
- The Best of The Undersea Journal
- Log Book
- Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Instructor Specialty Instructor Outline
- Project AWARE Specialty Program Instructor Outline
- Aware Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Instructor Outline
- Open Water Diver Manual
- Recreational Dive Planner, The Wheel and table, and Instructions for Use Booklets
- Open Water Diver Quizzes and Exam booklet
- Adventures in Diving Manual
- Rescue Diver Manual
- Rescue Diver Final Exams Booklet
- Divemaster Manual
- Divemaster Final Exams Booklet
Price£300 excluding materials
Materials cost in the region of £350
Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) program
The Open Water Scuba Instructor program portion of the PADI IDC further hones your leadership and teaching skills to prepare you for life as a PADI Instructor.
PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Program Course Prerequisites:
- PADI Assistant Instructor certification
- Certified diver for at least six months
- 60 logged dives (with experience in night, deep, and navigation)
- Proof of CPR and first aid training within the last 24 months.
What it takes:
- Self-study – Knowledge reviews, quizzes, lectures, presentations
- Confined Water – Skills review and assessment, workshops and presentations
- Open Water – Workshops, rescue assessment and presentations
You must have a minimum of 100 logged dives to become a PADI Instructor (though you can begin training as one with 60 logged dives).
Using the materials you purchased during our AI course
These prices do not include registration fees or examination fees.
2020/2021 Instructor Course Dates
|Instructor Course Dates|
|Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th April||PADI Assistant Instructor Course (Pool + Theory)||Closed|
|Sunday 3rd and Sunday 10th May||Malta IDC/IE Training Trip||Book|
|Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th October||PADI Assistant Instructor Course (Pool + Theory)||Book|
|Sunday 8th and Sunday 15th November||Malta IDC/IE Training Trip||Book|
Please print and complete the PADI Medical Statement before attending any diving course. For professional level courses you must be signed off by a physician prior to attending.